Advanced training course for water safety on ships
A training course for seafarers and shipping industry professionals
18-20 June 2014
Training venue: Royal Olympic Hotel, Athens, Greece
The training course is designed for:
- operators, managers, supervisors working ashore
- officers and crew working on ships and involved in water safety such as marine engineers, sanitation officers, environmental officers
Teaching methods: lectures, practical exercises in small groups for developing a Water Safety Plan, problem solving, simulations, quizzes, debates.
Course learning objectives
After the end of the course the trainees should be able to:
Understand the process of developing a Water Safety Plan (WSP).
Perform risk assessment in potable water systems and recreational water facilities.
Apply control measures for Legionnaires’ disease prevention.
Demonstrate knowledge on the standards set out in the European Manual for potable and recreational water safety.
Establish verification plans including representative sampling schedules in potable water systems and recreational water facilities.
Interpret microbiological and chemical laboratory results.
Maintain appropriate water chemistry in recreational water facilities.
What will this training course address?
- Practical examples for designing a Water Safety Plan
- The European Legionnaires’ Disease Surveillance Network (ELDSNet)
- Water microbiology and biofilm
- Disinfection of piped water systems
- Water chemistry in potable and recreational water
- Legionella spp.: ecology and microbiology
- Lessons learned from Legionnaires’ disease outbreaks
- Microbiological testing methods
- How to perform water sampling
- Establishment of a representative sampling schedule for verification monitoring
- Case studies on troubleshooting in recreational water facilities and potable water systems
About the course:
Click hereto download and complete the application form
Confirmation of Enrolment:
You will receive a confirmation email and an invoice for the fees
- Thorough knowledge of the English language
- Experience on ships
Prior to the face to face course, access will be given to 9 modules covering communicable diseases, food and water safety and environmental microbiology as well as an introduction to the European Manual.
The SHIPSAN e-learning platform will be available on-line to all trainees prior, during and after the course.
At the beginning and at the end of the training course, there will be an anonymous assessment.
A certificate of completion will be awarded to you upon completion of the training course.
Training fees: 500Euro
training material for the face-to-face course
coffee, lunch and dinner for 3 days
CD-ROM with the e-learning modules.